Thursday 25 October 2012

Être alcoolique était si plaisant.

Here's a post I wrote on a reddit thread called Reddit-- what is your rock bottom moment, something that made you realize you had to change your life or else?... some time ago. Maybe it'll help some people.

I've been drinking beer for fun since I've been 13.
I love the taste, I love being drunk, I drink out of boredom like fat people eat out of boredom.
I'm now 28.
At 26 I had a break-up with the girl I thought I was going to raise kids with.
All my friends are in relationships and starting to pop babies.
I felt alone, seemed like nobody had the time to go out and party with me to help me get over her.
Mostly just hanging out on friday nights playing boardgames.
So I started going out alone. Going to shows, creeping at the bar.
I started drinking heavily, every day.
Alone, at home, listening to Lucero.

From October 2010 to October 2011, I must have had about 30 sober days.

I was sleeping an average of 3-4 hours a night (still had a full-time job).
I started having terrible back pain, on top of the growing beer belly, loss of health and self-esteem, and debt rising since I was drinking more than I was making money.
Decided that this was not the life I wanted.

I woke up one sunday feeling SO shitfaced.
Saw myself in the mirror and found myself disgusting.
I decided to take a 100-days soberness test.
That same day I was going to see Agnostic Front with a few friends.
They all wanted to get shifaced, bought me a few shots.
I announced my pledge, they told me to start it the next day.

I knew if I didn't do it THAT day, I would never do it. So I held my ground.
My friends got hammered all night, I focused on the music.

My pledge ended the 8th of February. I have lost 15 pounds, am not in debt anymore, am getting plenty of rest, the backpain is gone (turns out my liver was so swollen it was pushing on my Vertebral column).

Best of all, I am stronger than alcohol. Going to see Lucero this sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment